Wooden castanets on handle for easy use by all players. 20 cm length
- Castanets consist of a pair of concave, wooden 'shells' joined by string along one edge
- Versions for children often use an elasticated hinge instead for ease of playing
- Normally played in twos with one pair in each hand
- The string is hooked over the thumb and the castanets rest in the palm with the fingers curled over to support the other side
- The name comes from the Spanish word for chestnut, though in flamenco they are known as palillos or 'little sticks'